Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
Everyone is welcome to join.
Just link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out your list! If you don’t have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It’s a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
Today’s Top Ten Tuesday Topic:
Bookishly Quotable (in no particular order)
1. “I’ve had an elegant sufficiency; any more would be a superfluity.” –Fred Chappell, I Am One of You Forever, Uncle Gurton (character in “The Beard”)
2. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” –Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It
3. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” ―Dr. Seuss, Horton Hears a Who!
4. “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” ―Kathryn Stockett, The Help
5. “People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”
–Kent M. Keith, Paradoxical Commandments
6. “Do you remember me telling you we are practicing non-verbal spells, Potter?”
“Yes,” said Harry stiffly.
“There’s no need to call me “sir” Professor.”
The words had escaped him before he knew what he was saying.”
―J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
7. Acts 20:24…However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.
8. Psalm 73:26…My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
9. “Books are living things and their task lies in their vows of silence. You touch them as they quiver with a divine pleasure. You read them and they fall asleep to happy dreams for the next 10 years. If you do them the favor of understanding them, of taking in their portions of grief and wisdom, then they settle down in contented residence in your heart.” –Pat Conroy, My Reading Life
10. “Honor is the presence of God in man.” –Pat Conroy, The Lords of Discipline