1. To mark your page you: use a bookmark, bend the page corner, leave the book open face down?
Bookmarks…which can consist of anything from a real true bookmark to a strategically placed booklight to a business card to a napkin (yes, a clean one) to the flap of a dust jacket. You name it, I’ve probably used it for a bookmark at some point in time.
2. Do you lend your books?
Only the ones I have really enjoyed (or have been requested). And unless I’ve really, really, REALLY enjoyed them and want to keep them, they go in a book bag to be sold at the local bookstore…so I can buy other books.
3. You find an interesting passage: you write in your book or NO WRITING IN BOOKS!
I’ve done it, and I’m not against it. In fact, I’ve been known to look for used books on a particular subject that have notes in them, just to get another person’s perspective.
4. Dust jackets – leave it on or take it off.
Since I am prone to use the flap for a bookmark, I leave them on.
5. Hard cover, paperback, skip it and get the audio book?
In order of preference (and rarely ever bought new): trade paperback, audiobook, hardback, mass market paperback.
6. Do you shelve your books by subject, author, or size and color of the book spines?
I have done all of the above. Currently my “keep forever and ever” books are loosely categorized by subject, and my “to be read” list (which is actually an entire bookshelf) is categorized as wherever there is room, that’s where it goes.
7. Buy it or borrow it from the library later?
Buy used, borrow from the library and/or a friend, exchange with a friend for something they have that I want, and on the rarest (and I mean RAREST) of occasions buy new.
8. Do you put your name on your books – scribble your name in the cover, fancy bookplate, or stamp?
I usually don’t put my name in most books because ithey’re not lkely to remain with me permanently.
9. Most of the books you own are rare and out of print books or recent publications?
Mixture – probably 30% old/out of print, 70% newish.
10. Page edges – deckled or straight?
11. How many books do you read at one time?
I’m usually reading 2-3 books at a time (at varying speeds), listening to an audiobook, and reading however many books Cody wants to read at any given time.
12. Be honest, ever tear a page from a book?
Only from the phonebook.